Tuesday, March 4, 2014

How I Became A Mommy

My mom likes to joke that I only give her 5 months to prepare for all the big life events.  We had 5 months to plan my wedding after J and I were engaged.  Then we had 5 months to prepare for the arrival of our son, H.

See, we weren't planning to adopt anytime soon.  We were actually planning to go a few rounds of IVF first.  Then one night at the church we were attending at the time, a young teenaged girl we hardly knew approached me and asked the question I dreaded the most.  "Why don't y'all have any kids yet?"

As I explained to her that I couldn't have kids without medical intervention, I could see the gears turning in her head.  Her next question threw me for the loop of my life.  "Would you like to adopt my baby?  I'm four months pregnant and I can't keep it."  Wow.  I told her I'd talk to J, but I already knew that the baby she was carrying was my child.


For the next 5 months I went to doctor appointments with her.  We were there when we found out that H was a boy, we were in the hospital room when he arrived.  I was the first to hold him.  He had the thickest, darkest, most beautiful hair I'd ever seen on a newborn.  Ten days later the surrender papers were signed without any reservations.  She knew what was best for him and I'm thankful every day that she had the strength to make that choice.  He is the most amazing gift we've ever been given.





Three months later, we would sit in front of the judge and he would legally be our child forever.  That was the third best day of my life!


Three and a half years later, and he's the best little guy, taylor made for our family!  We are so fortunate to have been able to become his parents.  We hope to adopt again one day, but until then I'm going to soak up every minute of being H's mommy!



No comments:

Post a Comment